Friday, October 3, 2008

5-4-Fri: Mixed Drinks

Well, if it's Friday somewhere I should eventually probably do a happy hour-oriented 5-4-Fri. Usually I provide just a quick publishing citation or a short provenance, something tres brief; this time I'll include more robust info--the actual recipes. Without further ado, please to enjoy five delicious mixed drinks:

1. Sidecar--this is the litmus test for a bar. Many is the time I have asked some woefully talentless hottie or some barkeep poser to make this deco classic only to be met with a blank stare worthy of Sarah Palin. RECIPE = 2 oz brandy; 1/2 oz triple sec; 1 oz lemon juice; mix, shake, strain.
2. Dark and Stormy--new to me and fan-tas-tic. Thanks to my pal and bartender extraodinare, Damon. RECIPE = 2 oz Black Seal Dark Rum; Ginger Beer; serve over ice.
3. Black Crush--Introduced to me on a "We're Turning 40 and Going to Vegas! But What Happens in Vegas Need Not Stay in Vegas 'Cause We're Too Damn Old To Get Up To Much" trip with the fellas. Patent-pending by the Bellagio, which sells this stuff like hotcakes. RECIPE = muddle 3 blackberries with fresh mint; 2 oz rasberry-infused vodka; dash sour mix; two dashes Frothee; mix, shake, strain; float club soda on top and garnish with mint sprig.
4. Jack and Coke--My standard. The best. And it used to be that the thick and delicious irony of JD coming from a dry county in TN was a special bonus. Like this Lynchburg liquor so much I roomed with a Moore County native. RECIPE = Put some Jack in some coke.
5. Whiskey Rickey--Find the speakeasy HummingbirdtoMars and order this. Who cares if you can only afford it with a $700 billion line of credit from the feds; it's worth it. RECIPE = 1 1/2 oz whiskey; 1/2 oz lime juice; 1 tsp simple syrup; club soda; lime wedge; serve over ice.

PS - As far as we can tell, my brother and I invented a drink called The Austin, which includes 3 oz lime mix (2 parts sweet lime juice, 1 part unsweet lime juice; 1 part water); 1 1/2 oz gin; 1/2 oz triple sec. It's named in honor of the now-dead-to-me Austin Grill (alright, maybe I still go there every Sunday like clockwork but someday a real rain is coming), which just went corporate but which was once an oasis of Tex-Mex goodness in Ye Olde Towne. The LBJ was the Best. Rita. Ever. Oh, and "Rocky Took a Lover" by Bell X1 is grrrreat; now playing on el iTunes.

4 comments:

Wicketywack said...

Yes, the sidecar is an excellent one. Also in there should be a true whiskey sour -- and with real egg white. It's so damn good.

iClipse said...

I was going to include a Mai Tai, but basically, now that Alexandria's Honolulu has closed, it requires your personal presence to meet my standards of excellence, and that's just not realistic for the average reader.

Lynn Eaton said...

One more thing about the dark and stormy - I first was given one by my friend who plies me wonderful drinks and he recommends the use of Stewart's Ginger Beer - says it's the best and he's tried many varieties.

Here's to a happy hour this Friday!

iClipse said...

Stweart's it is.